Wednesday, December 23, 2009

What does a butterfly tattoo symbolize?

What does a butterfly tattoo symbolize?

I'm seeking to get a butterfly tattoo next week however I want to know exactly what it means. I want it to symbolize my freedom and crossing a milestone in my life.
--
GET it ! A butterfly tattoo is a pretty way of symbolizing your freedom. You know, several years ago, I wanted to get a tattoo of a butterfly as well to symbolize something I had been through earlier, and I did get it on my ankle. I love my butterfly tattoo, every time I glance at it, it makes me smile and I never did regret it.

Ok now this issue about it being for lesbians is something I never heard of ! My advice to you is to get it if you really want it, regardless of the meaning =)
--
two of my friends got butterfly tattoos for the same reason that they start out as ugly worms and transform themselves into beautiful creatures.
--
as far as i ever remember is that butterflies represent a change, a rebirth, they start out as caterpillars and come out as delicate beautiful butterflies.
--
Responding to the first answer, no I do not think that a butterfly tattoo represents you being a lesbian. I think that a butterfly tattoo represents that: 1) it is a symbol of newly found freedom 2) you "grew" as a person or just "grew" in any other category. and 3) you like butterflies. Tattoos do not have to mean the same for everybody. Someone who gets a tattoo of a rose might think it represents beauty and life, while someone who gets a tattoo of a rose believes it represnts something completely opposite. It just depends on what you think that tattoo represents. That's why people ask you "Why did you get that tattoo, what does it represent?"
--
It depends..everyone has their own meaning behind the tats they get. Every picture tells a story.So what a butterfly might mean to you may not mean the same thing to someone else.

By the way,A butterfly tat does not mean a person is a lesbian.Thats just silly.Tats are personal and they can mean whatever you want them too.
--
I'm not sure what it symbolizes but I did draw a tribal butterfly on my computer that I was going to get. Instead I let the artist draw mine., but this one is really good if I must say so myself. Send me your e-mail or IM so I can let you view it.
--
I have a tattoo, and wish I had never gotten it, but that's just me. :-)

However, if you would like to know the symbolism, here is what I got off the net:

"The meaning and symbolism behind popular butterfly tattoo designs
by Sam Smith

Butterfly tattoos are among the most popular tattoos today and the most frequently requested tattoo designs especially among women. This shows the major growth of women in the tattoo industry as a whole. Butterfly tattoo designs of course are popular among females just for their beauty! There is also a deep symbolism behind the butterfly that comes forms its short and amazing life.

A butterfly of course starts life as a caterpillar and goes through a major change as it becomes a butterfly. It makes a chrysalis or cocoon and then emerges as a beautiful butterfly. This lead many ancient cultures to regard the butterfly as a symbol of the impermanence and instability of earthly life. The amazing process of change from a caterpillar to a butterfly also captivated many ancient cultures that believed this was similar to the process of a soul's journey from an earthly body to a heavenly body. In fact the ancient Greeks often symbolized the human soul or psyche with butterfly wings in art.

It is easy to instantly see the beauty that a butterfly tattoo holds and the deeper meaning and significance of a butterfly and its life process make for a very popular tattoo design for women."

Source(s):

--
I have one, and for me it symbolizes the element of air. All that matters is what it means to you. Butterflies are a long-standing symbol of freedom and transformation (coming out of a cocoon).

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AsUf90YUmjvU8MoM4fUCmfIjzKIX;_ylv=3?qid=20060618175023AAo28Wj

No comments:

Post a Comment